Saturday, February 12, 2011

Patchwork...and all its implications

“I do not like patchwork,” said Anne dolefully, hunting out her workbasket and sitting down before a little heap of red and white diamonds with a sigh. “I think some kinds of sewing would be nice; but there is no scope for the imagination in patchwork” Anne of Green Gables




A few years back my grandmother was going through all her antiques and heirlooms in preparation for admitting she was old (I can never think of her that way...she is one of the strongest, bravest women I know). During this exercise I was given a beautiful patchwork quilt. It hangs predominately in our apartment at the top of the staircase and is one of the first things you see. I put it there as my "pineapple of hospitality", in hopes that everyone who comes into our home will feel like you do under a patchwork quilt made with love. That is the one side of patchwork...



...This is the other side. Yes, its knitting and not sewing, but I haven't equipped myself for quilting yet. This is the blanket I've been in the process of making for my wonderful husband ever since we've been married (7 months). I'm not even halfway through. That is because there is absolutely no scope for the imagination in the pattern I started. Not one break of knit the whole row in the pattern. It requires constant counting and a strict vigilance over which row of the pattern you are on. That being said, the last time I sat down with this beast of a blanket was on New Years when we decided to have a Lord of the Rings marathon. It was a good distraction from all the unsavory bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment