Saturday, March 5, 2011

Bosom Friends


“‘Will you swear to be my friend forever and ever?’ demanded Anne eagerly.
Diana looked shocked
‘Why, isn’t it dreadfully wicked to swear,’ She said rebukingly
‘Oh no, not my kind of swearing. There are two kinds, you know.’
‘I never heard of but one kind,’ said Diana doubtfully
‘There really is another. Oh it isn’t wicked at all. It just means vowing and promising solemnly.’
‘Well I don’t mind doing that,’ agreed Diana, relieved. ‘How do you do it?’
‘We must join hands-so’ said Anne gravely. ‘It ought to be over running water. We’ll just imagine this path is running water. I’ll repeat the oath first. I solemnly swear to be faithful to my bosom friend, Diana Barry, as long as the sun and the moon shall endure. Now you say it and put my name in.’
Diana repeated the ‘oath’ with a laugh fore and ‘aft. Then she said:
‘You’re a queer girl, Anne. I heard before that you were queer. But I believe I’m going to like you real well.’”
Anne of Green Gables

 I will love these girls for as long as the sun and the moon shall endure. They are my best friends. I don't remember our first play date, but that probably because it was 20 years ago. We have endured so many things together--seriously, you name it chances are we've done it or helped each other through it. I took this picture the night I found out I was going to be an aunt. I chose this picture for two reasons. First is that I think its the only one of these girls that I have taken (as per the ground rules of the blog), and more importantly because that night was an iconic night of solidarity for us. I love you with all my heart ladies!


1 comment:

  1. And I will love you as the long as the sun and the moon shall endure!

    ReplyDelete